Ka Hale Olinda is a Historic 1908 Hawaiian Homestead
A Brief History of Ka Hale Olinda
Wyoming cowboy Angus MacPhee, a world-class roper, fell in love with the Hawaiian Islands during a visit here with Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West Show and decided to stay. He built his Olinda home on Haleakala Homestead land in 1908. An influential person in Island life, MacPhee served as manager of Ulupalukua Ranch (Raymond Ranch at that time) and Grove Ranch near Hali’imaile, and operated a meat market and livery stable in Wailuku. Needing funds to finance a Kaho’olawe Island ranch and restoration project, MacPhee reluctantly sold his Olinda home in 1918 to R.A. Drummond, a longtime member of the Maui Board of Supervisors.
In the late 1930’s Ralph H. Moltzau, Sr., born and raised in Honolulu, purchased the property from Drummond. Ralph, a horticulturist influential in the early development of the macadamia nut industry, was managing the U.S. Farm Security Administration Office on Maui. At that time he was helping established farmers to improve their yields and was working to locate new acreage for farming.
The house stood vacant for 10 years. In the early 1950’s renovation of the house was completed and Ralph, now working in the pineapple industry, his wife, Irene, and their three children were able to move in and make the old house their home. The property has remained in the Moltzau family since that time.
The land surrounding the Moltzau’s home was used at various times for truck farming, pineapple growing and cattle grazing. Currently, Anuhea Farm leases part of the property to cultivate protea flowers and asparagus. Most of the rest is leased to the Broke Ass Ranch as pastureland.
Ralph and Irene lived out their years in their Olinda home. Their son, Ralph Jr., self-employed in pollution monitoring, moved into his childhood home following Irene’s death in 1995. When Ralph Jr. passed away in 2003, the property became the responsibility of his sisters, Donna Moltzau Jaecker and Sterling Moltzau Church. They completed renovations of the house and landscaping in 2006 and opened the home as Ka Hale Olinda Meeting and Retreat Center. The historic homestead is now available to the public, providing an intimate and special location for meetings, conferences, gatherings and retreats of many kinds.